One in 10 children and young people in London have asthma but less than half of these have an asthma management plan or know how to use their inhaler correctly.
NHS Tower Hamlets CCG is supporting the Healthy London Partnership and NHS England London campaign #AskAboutAsthma to help improve the lives of those in Tower Hamlets living with asthma.
The campaign, which is launching to coincide with children and young people returning to school and the highest peak of hospital admissions for asthma, aims to encourage all children and young people with asthma to take these three simple steps:
- Have a written asthma action plan. The plan helps identify the right colour inhaler and dosage and the time to seek emergency help
- Be able to use their inhaler effectively
- Ensure they have an annual asthma review of their medication and care
- Encourage more exercise by walking to work/school
- Car pooling and turning off engines when idle
- Using non/less toxic materials in homes and offices
- Having greenery in and around homes and offices
Sir Sam Everington, a local GP and chair of NHS Tower Hamlets Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: “Many of us will have a friend or relative with asthma and our actions could really help them. That’s why we are encouraging people to make a pledge in support of the #AskAboutAsthma campaign.
“With relatively simple approaches, we can all contribute towards making a big difference for asthmatics.”
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, John Biggs, said: “Children in Tower Hamlets already have up to 10% less lung capacity than the national average, due to vehicle exhaust fumes. Exhaust fumes are one of the biggest contributors to pollution in Tower Hamlets, and poor air quality can have a particular impact on our young people’s lung development, triggering asthma symptoms.
“The aim for our recently launched Breathe Clean campaign is to have a positive effect on children’s ability to breathe clearer, cleaner air, through education and enforcement.”
The #AskAboutAsthma campaign will run from the 3rd - 16th September. #AskAboutAsthma is led by Healthy London Partnership, a collaboration of all 32 London CCGs, including Tower Hamlets CCG and NHS England London.