In early 2015, Tower Hamlets CCG took on responsibility for commissioning GP services, which were previously commissioned by NHS England. This has allowed the CCG to have more say in the development and delivery of local services.
Some of the key projects we are working on locally include:
- Building resilience in general practice: A successful pilot has taken place in a number of local GP practices, empowering them to make operational changes that deliver improved quality of care for patients. This has helped to free up more GP time to spend with patients and make more primary care appointments available for local people. This programme will be expanded further in 2017/18.
- Delivering the GP Forward View: In April last year NHS England published the GP Forward View, committing additional funding to support GP services across England. So far, we have used this financial support in Tower Hamlets to deliver:
- More appointments at evenings and weekends, making it easier for local people to see a GP
- Support for GPs to increase the number of patients using online services
- Additional training for receptionist and clerical staff
As this work continues, we will be supporting our GPs to utilise online consultations, supporting and mentoring our practice managers and recruiting and training clinical pharmacists to work within GP practices.
- Primary care patient engagement: In 2016/17 we held a number of successful workshops with local residents, where we asked for your views on a number of areas. This included the process for registering with a GP, how services are accessed and how consistent GP services are across the borough. The feedback from these sessions will be vital in commissioning services in the future.
For more information or to give feedback on any of the information on this page, please email us.