Case study - Jackie
I am a 54 year old women. I worked in the MET Police and trained as a nurse. I love Kingston my canine partner as he supports me. I have had a previous brain injury that led to epilepsy then surgery leading to complications resulting in me becoming a wheelchair user. I enjoy travelling and animal welfare in which I have a degree. I want to maintain my independence, this is very important to me.
Why choose a PHB?
- Traditional services were not working for me
- To attend Slimming World to reduce weight and maintain diabetes as this was not being controlled
- To have flexibility choice and control in how my support was provided
- To have help and support attending appointments
- Meet wellbeing needs that cannot be met via current services
What was being accessed?
- Diabetes Service
- A&E and GP regularly
- Canine Partners
- Family & friends for daily support
- Community Mental Health team
- Memory Clinic
What’s being accessed now?
- Diabetes service now reduced
- Reduced ambulance call outs due to Kingston and weight loss
- Canine partners long term
- Choice and control in employing a PA
- Personalised Care Programme & PHB
- Slimming World weekly
- 3 Stone weight loss and increased confidence
- Diabetes is now maintained resulting in reduced visits to GP and A&E.
- Reduction in need for diabetic service and potentially other related services
- Confidence in pursuing other activities. I am planning a bungee Jump in Africa to raise funds for Canine Partners
- Appointment assistance from PA allowing me to better understand consultations
- Through employing a PA I am less reliant on friends and family
Estimated Cost Saving
- £26.000 per annum saved in reduced ambulance call outs, diabetes admissions & potential inpatient care.