GPs in Tower Hamlets are urging people to help the NHS by using local healthcare services wisely over the summer bank holiday weekend.
The long weekend is a great time for relaxing but if you get injured or you become ill unexpectedly, the NHS is still on hand. By choosing the right place for treatment and advice, you will get the help you need more quickly.
People who require health services over the bank holiday weekend have a number of options:
- NHS 111 service – If you need medical help fast, but your condition is not life threatening, you can call NHS 111. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the freephone number is staffed by trained advisors and experienced clinicians who can assess you, offer advice and direct you to the right place to get the medical care you need as quickly as possible.
- Pharmacy – Many common illnesses such as coughs or colds can be best and most easily treated by visiting your local pharmacy and you can speak to a pharmacist without having to make an appointment. Your pharmacist can offer advice on how to look after yourself at home with rest and over-the-counter treatments. There are a number of pharmacies open in Tower Hamlets over the weekend including bank holiday Monday. A full list of pharmacy opening times over the bank holiday can be downloaded on the side of this page.
- GP out of hours service – If you are unwell outside your GP’s normal opening hours, you can call the Tower Hamlets out of hours GP service on 020 7377 7151. The service is open 6.30pm to 8am, Monday to Friday, and 24 hours a day during weekends and bank holidays. A call handler will take your details and a GP will then return your call.
- Walk-in services – These can treat most minor injuries that are urgent, but not life threatening, including suspected broken bones, cuts and rashes, minor burns, bruises, bites and stings. There are two GP-led walk-in services in Tower Hamlets and both are open 8am to 8pm every day of the week, including bank holidays:
- The Barkantine walk-in service, 21 Westferry Road, Isle of Dogs, London E14 8JH. Phone: 0207 510 4000
- St Andrews Health Centre, 2 Hannaford Walk, London E3 3FF. Phone: 020 8980 1888
- For more information about the local healthcare services available in Tower Hamlets, you can search for details via myhealthlondon on the CCG’s website here or visit http://www.nhs.uk/service-search