There are approximately 2,278 adults with autism in Tower Hamlets.
This Autism Awareness Week (1-7 April 2019), our vision is that all adults with autism can lead fulfilling and rewarding lives within a society that accepts and understands them.
To mark National Autism Awareness Week, the Adult Autism partnership in Tower Hamlets will be planning actions for the next year to:
- increase the awareness of people working in services and businesses about autism; and
- encourage employers to give autistic adults and young people a job.
We will encourage services and businesses to:
- Communicate clearly - simplify letters and information and use jargon-free language, visual aids and easy read. Ask clear specific questions and check people understand. Avoid cluttered information displays.
- Give more time for appointments - e.g. doctors to give a double appointment slot
- Be flexible about scheduling appointments, ask individuals for their preference and try to reduce delays and time spent in the waiting room as this can make people anxious.
- Be environment aware – reduce noise, crowds and bright lightsReduce distinctive smells, avoid extremes of temperature.
- Treat people as equals, with respect and as individuals.
The Council and CCG commit to participate actively in this work.